Friday 8 January 2016

And now for something ancient...


Good grief is it cold today! I intended to make some new jewellery but it was so cold that my hands didn’t want to work properly, so I ended up tidying up and organising things for tomorrow. I will put the heating on if its cold, I can’t work when its like this. So those of you who are enjoying hot days or summer sunshine – enjoy it!

I thought it might be fun to share some jewellery or bead related facts and trivia with you, so to kick things off, how about this:

The oldest known beads are around 90,000-100,000 years old and were found in Israel and Algeria. The beads were made of shell and were roughly the size of a pea. It is believed that a flint tool was used to make the stringing holes… so I guess there is nothing new under the sun, is there?

Also, I have been asked about the area where I live, and I thought you might like some little peeks at it from time to time. For our first look at Rosebay country, how about this old ruin that dates all the way back to around 43AD and was built by the Romans?




It also makes a really nice walk along the beach. As you can see, we have shingle shores around here.



Lets hope its warmer tomorrow…

No comments:

Post a Comment